Seeking hands-on technical leader to manage two small engineering teams.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with our Director of Product to translate business priorities into direction for the tech teams
- Ensure that technical priorities are surfaced and managed alongside business priorities
- Build a culture of collaboration between our tech teams and other divisions of the company
- Be a touchstone of communication between the Technology department and other stakeholders - with the ability to dive into the details of technical challenges, as well as the communication skills to keep our non-technical folks informed and involved
- Collaborate on technical direction for our teams - work with our architects here as well as our development team in our UK office to ensure our architecture & approach matches our business needs
- Manage a small group of developers and team leads
- Coach our team leads to be effective at leading their team
- Coach our teams in engineering best practices
- Coach our teams in best practices for incident response and incident management
- Ensure our agile process adapts to the needs of the business as well as our tech team
- Ensure the makeup of the tech teams matches the business needs, including recruiting as necessary
- Own the recruitment process for your teams
- Own the performance review & promotion process for your teams
Desired Skills & experience
- Experience leading a development team - this would be a great opportunity for a tech lead looking to take the next step in their career.
- Dev management experience - bonus points for having managed tech leads as well as developers
- Fullstack development experience required - ideally you have worked in Ruby on Rails, Node.js and React
- Solid understanding of the agile process and mindset
- Extra points if you've worked at a digital publisher, have experience developing content management systems for editorial teams, and a working knowledge of technical SEO and programmatic advertising.
With 150 million monthly unique users and offices in New York, Hamburg, London, Sydney, Melbourne and Warsaw, BAUER XCEL MEDIA is one of the world's fastest-growing digital media companies. Our New York office houses the digital division of Bauer Media Group US and it's here that we publish LifeandStyleMag.com, InTouchWeekly.com, CloserWeekly.com, FHM.com, J-14.com, TwistMagazine.com, M-Magazine.com, WomansWorld.com, FirstforWomen.com, and SoapsinDepth.com.
Bauer Xcel Media is not your typical digital publisher. Despite our powerhouse brand portfolio, our teams are small but mighty. We move quickly. We are programmatic first. We create all of our own content, fully independent of our print magazine counterparts. Our editors own the complete lifecycle of our content from idea, to story, to social media posting, and beyond. You'll find us in a shared start-up space where we have lots of hard-to-beat perks like a roof deck, beer on tap, ping pong, and an all-around collaborative spirit that's energetic and downright contagious.
Our team is fast and efficient and we believe that our spirit is a result of a flexible work environment that encourages a healthy work-life balance. Happy employees matter to us.